Monday, November 17, 2008

FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST!!

Today, Caroline is officially my sweet baby (helmet-free) girl!! Yay, woo-hoo, yipee!! As you can tell, I'm not excited at all and did not decide to throw her a Happy Head party last night. Wait, I'm mistaken :-) We had our community group over last night for a chili dinner, and I decided to turn it into a little party for Caroline since it was her last day wearing her helmet. So with some decorations and a present or two, we were all set.
Caroline's decorated high chair
The HAPPY sign

Her gifts: a winter hat and some bows (of course :-) to celebrate the occasion
Here are the last pictures taken of Caroline wearing her helmet. She's waving bye-bye :-)




Here is Caroline having her head scanned for the last time. We will miss that funny doo-rag!


I had this long post I was going to write about all the things I will not miss about the helmet (that include, but are not limited to...the stares from strangers, the rude/weird comments, the fact that Caroline's head has smelled like dirty feet for the past 10 weeks, etc..) However, I decided if I wrote a post like that, I would sound ungrateful. And that's not how I really feel. I am actually SO grateful for this helmet and the medical intervention (physical therapy included) that helped Caroline's torticollis and plagiocephaly (flat head). My most fervent prayer (when we finally decided we would get Caroline a helmet) was that she would not be distressed or uncomfortable in the helmet. My prayers were answered, and she never even knew anything was on her head. This was not characteristic of Caroline given she is a super sensitive baby. We were so blessed that it all went smoothly and are happy that she now has normal neck muscles and a beautiful, round head. I would show before/after pics but her flat spot doesn't really show up so you can't tell. Here are some pics I took after our appt. today. Adios helmet...although we are so grateful for you, we will not miss you!!



Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Laura said...

Yay, Caroline!!!! I will miss that cute helmet, but you will look so cute in the huge bows I will make your mommy buy for you!

Shannon said...

Hooray!! I am rejoicing with you!

Emily said...

Woo Hoo Caroline!!! So excited for you :)

The Smiths said...

You are so fun Laura that you threw a party - so happy that you guys are done with the helmet!!!

Travis and Andrea said...

Yay!!!! Isn't it great! Her head Looks great. I know you will like her helmet free day. :)

Tigert Tales said...

Yeah!!! Can't wait to see you all soon at playgroup.