Sunday, March 22, 2009

Almost one year ago...

...this was me.
I can't believe how huge I was!! That is one large belly. Matt and I have been talking a lot lately about "this time last year". I was 38 weeks pregnant and we were anxiously awaiting Caroline's birth. We were dying to know what she looked like and what her personality was going to be like. I realized the other day that I started this blog after Caroline was born and have never told her birth story. Here is a very modified version so that Caroline can look back one day and read all about it.
The last few weeks of my pregnancy were a little difficult. I had all the usual discomforts but my blood pressure started climbing also. My doctor (Dr. N) started seeing me every 3-4 days during the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy to monitor my blood pressure. When I went in at 39 1/2 weeks preggo, my body had had enough of pregnancy and my blood pressure had skyrocketed! I was shocked. It had been somewhat high but nothing scary up to that point...Matt wasn't even at the appt. with me b/c we were sure the numbers were going to look the same as they did 3 days before. Well, that was not the case. Dr. N, without any hesitation, said that this day (Friday, April 4th 2008) was going to be Caroline's birthday. I started crying for many different reasons: #1) Matt wasn't there, #2) I was about to meet my daughter and was super excited, #3) I was going to have a c-section and was REALLY scared about the surgery. Dr. N did not think an induction was safe given how high my blood pressure was. Long story short, I called Matt immediately and he raced home from work, I went home to pack up a few things, then we went back to the hospital and I got prepped for surgery. I was still so disappointed I didn't get to have a "normal" delivery but cared more about Caroline's health and my health at this point so I felt okay. All in all, Dr. N did the most amazing job and the c-section was no big deal. And when Caroline was born everything became very exciting. Here's the little face I got to see almost one year ago today (she still makes this same pouty face when she gets upset)...

...and almost one year later, who knew that this would be the same sweet little girl?!? What a difference 1 year makes!!!

P.S.--this has nothing to do with my post, but look who might be getting her mommy's curls...at least I hope this is the case b/c I have NO idea how to style straight hair :-)

3 comments:

The Smiths said...

Oh my gosh - I forgot what a cute pregnant lady you were! Isn't it funny now, looking back, that your body was every capable of that? Crazy!

Travis and Andrea said...

Wow- that is a good birth story. She is darling. Paige and Caroline have the same hair- curls in the back. Maybe it's from their bands. j/k. :)

Shannon said...

What a great idea! I loved reading that post! I never knew you pre-momma. And I know the nurse holding precious Caroline - that is sweet Annie! One of the most gifted L&D RN's I have ever known. I still wish I could have worked your case that day since I was there. That would have been WILD!