Monday, December 5, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I should have titled this post "Better Late Than Never", ha. This post is SO late but since it's better late than never, here is how we celebrated Thanksgiving 2011.
We woke up and had our traditional coffee cake and egg sausage casserole breakfast...wouldn't be a holiday without it. Matthew was excited to have cake for breakfast for the first time!
 Yummy
 All smiles when there is coffee cake for breakfast!
 The rest of the morning was spent reading books with Mimi and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade while Matthew took his morning nap.
Caroline was SO into the parade this year and watched every minute of the WHOLE thing. She loved the Disney floats and thought the Rockettes were amazing.
After Matthew's morning nap, we all got dressed and ready and headed over to my grandmother, Nannie's, house. This Thanksgiving was very special because my Aunt Susan, Uncle Ronnie and their three fabulous kiddos came from Mobile, AL to spend Thanksgiving with us. My aunt and mom are two of the greatest cooks I know, and we were fortunate enough to have them cook our Thanksgiving meal for us.
We ate ham, turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, herb butter muffins, cranberry bread, pumpkin bread, Commander's Palace Salad, Southern green beans, and more. For dessert we had pumpkin cheesecake, chocolate pie, cookies, petit fours and more. It was delicious!
I love taking pictures of my plate:

 The Valentine sisters: Jean, my mom and Susan. My mom and Susan are the master chefs while Jean is the master dish washer. They make a great team :-) Can you believe they are sisters? They look nothing alike!
 Some of the Krauss clan: Matt, Mimi and PopPop (we missed you, Marcus!)
3 of my favorite cousins: Will, Catherine and Trey
 After lunch, we played games, talked (and laughed a lot!), took pictures, and Catherine and Caroline played at the park across the street from Nannie's house for a looooong time.
"Noooooooooo, don't make me walk!!!"

 An attempt at a Thanksgiving sibling pic. I tried...
...1,
 2,
 3,
 4,
 5 times before completely giving up. Sigh.
Caroline helped my mom (who is a Senior English teacher) grade some papers:


This little guy loves to cruise...but don't dare and try to get him to walk :-)

Time to go home to bed!
We had such a wonderful Thanksgiving with our families. It's times like these, when the whole Valentine clan is together, when I miss my Popo (who passed away in 2006) the most. He loved nothing more than when his whole family was together...especially when yummy food was involved...which it ALWAYS was if Popo had anything to say about it. I thought a lot this Thanksgiving about how thankful I am for my salvation and the hope I have because of the cross. I will get to spend eternity celebrating with sweet Popo because of Jesus' great sacrifice for us. I couldn't be more thankful for that gift! It trumps all!
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17

No comments: